A Predictable Structure
- Begin with a "Centers Meeting." This is a time to introduce a new material, to open a center, to discuss an expectation, to pose a question for inquiry (5 - 10 minutes).
- Children spend time in centers.
- End with a "Share." This is a time to highlight student learning that occurred, to pose a question that was raised, to clarify an expectation, to reflect on an experience or process (5-7 minutes).
- Choice within centers
- Choice in center selection
The Teacher's Role
- Introduce a new center, engaging material, inquiry question during the Centers Meeting.
- Teach into centers through conferring: pose a question, model thinking, model literacy, model numeracy, offer a suggestion, support desired interactions and choices.
- Facilitate the Center Share.